It’s begun, y’all! The Hallmark Christmas Movie calendar is out (and yes, that’s a thing), and feel-good Christmas movies are airing every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday until the big day. And even if you aren’t typically a Hallmark Channel fan, watch one of these Christmas movies and you can’t help but understand why a lot of people are. It’s wholesome, it’s nice, it’s all about the happy ending … who doesn’t love a happy ending?
And there’s another reason we’re bringing Hallmark Christmas movies up—for the business tips! Seriously! While love in its various forms is typically at the core of these heartfelt, admittedly cheesy films, there are some solid takeaways for entrepreneurs hidden in Hallmark Christmas movies.
Now that we’ve piqued your interest, here are 5 lessons entrepreneurs can learn from watching Hallmark Christmas flicks:
- When you’re in a bind, ask for help. In Christmas Land, a businesswoman needs help from her whole town to save a family business. Call Hallmark movies corny if you wish, but there is nothing corny about recognizing you need help and then asking for it. That, friends, is called being a mature adult and a savvy businesswoman.
- Don’t sacrifice your happiness for the almighty dollar. Family and friends definitely rule over work, workaholics inevitably learn in Hallmark movies. (We wonder if the workaholic bachelor in The Holiday Sitter will learn this lesson too? It airs December 11.) If the Hallmark Channel doesn’t make you want to call home for the holidays, we don’t honestly know what will.
- Your people are your business’s best asset. A lot of small family businesses get saved in Hallmark movies, have you noticed? Anyway, in movies like Christmas Cookies, there’s this great message that the PEOPLE really form the heart of a business. Let’s take that message and run with it.
- Don’t be afraid to talk about the hard stuff with employees, business partners, and clients. You know how Hallmark movies are oddly satisfying in that the characters always seem to work out their issues? It’s because they talk about it! So maybe it feels a little bit forced at times (who are we to throw shade at people’s acting?), but the lesson is still there: Address the elephants in the room and your business and your mental health will be better for it.
- Be kind. Here’s a PR lesson we can all learn from wholesome, nice Hallmark Christmas movies: It’s just better to be nice. Treat people kindly and that will come back to you in the form of good PR (and good karma). While no amount of PR or niceness can guarantee you a happy ending like the Hallmark Channel can, following the Golden Rule in business IS going to help you build a solid reputation that will follow you for years to come.
So who’s ready to watch some Hallmark Christmas movies? As you watch, consider how these feel-good stories and positive, heartfelt lessons could illuminate your own path as an entrepreneur.
Maybe you’ll realize you’ve been a little too focused on the numbers and what you need is to connect, really connect with people—your team, maybe, or someone special in your life (oh hi, Christmas under the Stars). Or maybe you’ll realize that your drive to grow your business has sucked some of the joy out of it for you (we see you, Christmas CEO).
Even if you learn nothing from watching a Hallmark movie this holiday season, at least go enjoy a couple hours of not having to worry about whether everything will work out in the end—because, spoiler alert, if it’s a Hallmark Christmas movie, it always does.
If you’re looking for your happily ever after this holiday season, book a call with us and let’s get you a Hallmark moment!